Saturday, July 30, 2011

In the Spotlight: Hannah Simms

Name: Hannah Simms

Role: Young Company Director

Why Directing?
You get to be nurturing of people's artistry and a complete control freak at the same time.  Plus, you can wear whatever you want.

I particularly love directing young people because they are so freakin insightful and are open to making magic happen onstage.  And they know how to have a good time.

How and why did you get involved with Hampshire Shakespeare & this production?
I was an outlaw in Two Gentleman of Verona when I was twelve or so. As I remember we were allowed to do our own make-up and my black eye got more elaborate every night.  This is my first show with them since.

Do you have a favorite role from any past productions?
I once played a character named Robot Mom in a play written by students.  That was pretty choice.

What is your Favorite Word?  Taberouette.  It's a mild oath in Quebec.

What is your Least Favorite Word?  Liability.

What sound or noise do you love? vocal harmony

What sound or noise do you hate? Mosquitoes buzzing in my ears.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
I'd like to be a blacksmith or a goatherd.

What profession would you not like to do?
Sean's or Tina's (ed note: HSC Producer and Production Manager, respectively).  They work their fool butts off.

What is your earliest memory of theater?
Putting on a show with my cousins.  Someone got kicked in the face for sure.

Why is Theatre Necessary?
Oh man. I don't quite know how to tackle that one other than just to keep doing it. 

Has performing Shakespeare given you any interesting insights into Shakespeare?
I am learning so much every time I sit down with the script, and that learning is going to multiply a thousand fold when we start the the intensive with the cast.  The man has a knack for expressing the states of the human soul. 

What’s next for you?  That is an excellent question.

No comments:

Post a Comment