Sunday, July 24, 2011

In the Spotlight: Sahar Eisenstein-Bond

Name: Sahar Eisenstein-Bond

Characters:
Mainstage: Lady/Mopsa
Young Company: Hermione

Why Acting?
I love being onstage, getting to try new things and be different characters.

How and why did you get involved with Hampshire Shakespeare & this production?
My family somehow made a connection with Tim Holcolm, who directed the Young Company Tempest last year, and told me I should audition. I loved it, and jumped at the chance to come back this year.

Do you have a favorite role from any past productions?
Honestly, I have to say I'm having the most fun I think I ever had with all my roles this year.

What is your Favorite Word?
Steampunk.

What is your Least Favorite Word?
Pulchritudinous.

What sound or noise do you love?
Rain.

What sound or noise do you hate?
Crying kids.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Currently, I think I'd like to be an acrobatics coach for my younger sister.

What profession would you not like to do?
Any kind of office job.

What is your earliest memory of theater?
My parents took me to see an opera when I was about two -- I think it was The Magic Flute. It scared me so much, and we left before intermission. I couldn't understand why all these people were doing strange things onstage.

Why is Theatre Necessary?
It tells stories in a different way than either books or movies, and if done well it can be a whole-body experience. You don't get that through any other medium.

Sahar in HSC's
"The Tempest"
2010
Has performing Shakespeare given you any interesting insights into Shakespeare?
Heck yeah. Mostly the fact that the more you study Shakespeare, the more you find in his plays. You could probably study just one scene for the rest of your life and keep finding new things in it every day.

Also, it's amazing how open his plays are to interpretation. You could set any one of his plays in outer space, underwater, in 1890's France, gender-reversed, almost anything, and it will still work. Each production is so different from any other production; more, I think, than with most other plays.

What’s next for you?
After Mainstage ends, I'm going to go right back onstage for Young Company intensive week for a different look at the exact same play. And thennnnn I'm going to take a little break. It is summer, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment